2012-01-22

The review that I wrote for the iPhone program "Chess Tactics Trainer"

> I bought this for the large number of problems.
>
> Gripes...
>
> 1. Pieces are too small on squares. Shadows don't help. I know
> that there are problems with the graphics because I miss obvious
> captures. tChess and Shredder have much better graphics.
>
> 2. Annoying delay between problems. What is it doing?
>
> 3. I have seen a number of repeat problems. I don't know if that is
> deliberate because Shredder will repeat problems that you miss, which
> is actually a good thing.
>
> 4. Many of the problems are obscure. I find myself completely
> missing the point on at least a third of the problems and I am an 1980
> rated player. (The program rates me at 1860.) Some of the
> continuations are too lengthy to be practical, and the analysis
> feature revealed one problem where the solver gets mated.
>
> When it comes to problem solving positions from real games, there are
> two approaches: One is to have really difficult problems that might
> take several minutes to solve so as to practice analysis, which is
> what you get from this program. I much prefer to have less difficult
> problems *and* have the ability to move very quickly from one problem
> to the next, which builds pattern recognition.
>
> I think that the program needs a way to select level of difficulty.
> i.e. 1, 2, 3 etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment