2019-06-26

Avoiding simple mistakes (in chess)

My friend was in Utah was asking me how to avoid obvious blunders.

Not meaning to sound like a broken record, this is what I said...

 I think that my chess strength varies from about 1800 to 2100. I have a friend, Steve, who likely varies from 1700 to 2000. If you can avoid making simple mistakes then you can probably add a hundred points to your overall strength.

The way that you avoid simple mistakes is pattern recognition. In the 23 years that I have had 1, 2 and 3 move tactics on my website, I have done both the Black and White problems a minimum of 200 times, and possibly much more. I believe in doing simple tactics repeatedly as a way of avoiding mistakes.  

--
Best wishes,

John Coffey

http://www.entertainmentjourney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment